Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Egg Retrival and more waiting.

Yesterday went better then I had imagined. I have never been put under before, so I really didn't know what to expect. They had us come in at 8:30 for a 10:30 retrieval. Scott made his contribution as soon as we arrived, then we waited.

I have always liked reading detailed accounts, so will share mine.

They brought us to the back where other ERs were waiting to go in or coming too from it. Had me change into the extra large hospital gown and hair net and then placed me on a reclining chair. Scott read his book and I sat there worrying. The nurse offered to get me a magazine, but I knew I wouldn't be able to read.

One woman, who was coming too, was getting sick from the anesthesia and that made me worry more. I wasn't sure what to expect from it. I did find out that my Dr. was performing the ER, which was calming.

At about 9:30 the nurse took my blood pressure and stats. She told me I would be hooked up to the machine when I came too. Then the anesthesiologist came to ask me all my medical questions. When I told him it was my first time he was surprised. Then he walked me through everything step by step. He was very good. He gave me some "happy medicine" that just got me light headed and I don't remember if Scott kissed me or wished me luck I just remember going into the ice cold retrieval room.

In there I saw Inna, the intern who did all my u/s this week. She was talking to me and telling me to think of a nice place to go when I was under. I told her I would go to Aruba since we couldn't afford a vacation there this year (we used to go every other year). She laughed. But I was serious - the ER was my trip to Aruba, it cost just as much, but was a little to cold to want to return.

The anesthesiologist gave me more "happy meds" and then placed a mask over my face. He told me to breathe heavy. It smelt like plastic and tasted like gas. I took about 4-5 breaths and got tired. Then he said take a few more breaths...

And that's all I remember.

I woke up in a fog. I remember asking the nurse how many eggs they got. She said five. I must have sounded disappointed because she looked on my chart and said "They got all the ones they have been tracking on your ultra sounds - that's good" I said I was hoping some were hiding.

Then I looked at the machine I was hooked up to. I was fascinated by this machine. I mentioned how it wasn't beeping I think a few times. The nurse said it is good when it doesn't beep.

They got Scott and he waited with me until I had some ginger ale and crackers and took some Tylenol. A few minutes later the nurse asked me if I felt okay to try to get dressed. I said yes.
I went to the bathroom where they asked me to check if I was bleeding. I was spotting but not bad. Then I got dressed and went home.

I was hungry but my throat was sore so Scott made me some soup when I got home. I ate that and then went to sleep for about 5 hours. When I woke up I was crampy, but not bad. I spent the rest of the night in bed, my dog lying with me.

Today I woke up at 6am from all the sleep I got. I have a long wait for my fertility report. They said they will call between 1-3pm. I am trying to stay hopeful. I know all it takes is one, but I would really love at least 2-3 nice healthy embryos! I'll update when I get the news. Fingers and toes crossed!

No comments: