Thursday, January 15, 2009

Egg Retrieval and now the long wait begins

ER is done. We went in at 8:30 and I waited as Scott produced his sample, then we both sat in the waiting room and waited for what seemed like forever. Finally about an hour later, the ER nurse came out and said they were a bit behind but would come to get me as soon as possible. Of course the first thing that went through my mind was "what if the eggs released on their own" Then I sat and waited some more. Scott reassured me all was right with the world, as much as he could at that point. There was nothing I could do to make them get me in faster, so all I could do was sit and wait. Calmly - not so much.

I eventually got taken into the recovery room where I changed into a hospital gown and waited some more. The intern I love so much, she is just so warm and calming with a smile and a touch of "everything would be okay", came in and started taking my vitals and reading the waiver form. You know the one, we do this every day but you may die, form.

As she was reading through the form, the new nurse I hate came to put in the IV. I couldn't help but notice the doctor looking down at my arm every couple of seconds as the nurse fumbled with the IV. So of course I looked to notice gushing blood everywhere and the nurse saying "oops, I shouldn't have done that, but it is okay now" Umm okay! She cleaned all the blood away, I signed the waiver and the the anesthesiologist came in to give me the antibiotics. It may my whole arm feel like it was burning. Then they walked me into the OR.

The intern held my hand and told me to think of someplace warm and relaxing as that is what I will dream about when under. Then she told me what I was going to smell was a plastic of a beach ball. Which the mask did smell like...

Then I was awake with the ER nurse telling me they got 11 eggs and telling me Scott is on his way in. 11 eggs - twice as much as last time, with one extra thrown in for luck! Lucky 11! I thought I would get 9, but 2 more must have been hiding.

Scott came in and fed me ginger ale and crackers. The nurse gave me some Tylenol with codeine and waited until I was more alert to get me dressed. She then read me the release form and my post OP instructions. We left and came home where I had some soup and slept for a little bit.
I woke up to feel a lot better then I did last time so Scott and I had some dinner and we watched American Idol then went to bed. I loved that it gave me a bit of distraction from wondering what my eggs were doing.

Now that American Idol is over and Scott is back at work, all I can think about is how many fertilized as I sit and write this. I most likely won't know until about 3pm today. I keep praying that at least 8 fertilized and are growing strong. That is what I am hoping for, just double what I had last time since I got double the amount of eggs. Please God, Please!

1 comment:

Damsel in need of De-Stress! said...

Holy Cats....11 eggs!! wow! I am sending good vibes your way!!