Saturday, February 7, 2009

The world is missing a wonderful man today

I went in to work yesterday to see a posting the Roger B. was in the hospital. Upon talking to other members, they had said he went in for some kind of infection "but he is fine".

I work in a social community where many members are retired and just looking for a place to go in the day or to get away from it all at night. Many retired cops or firefighters, which Roger was. He had been a firefighter for years and now his son was on the force. He was always so proud of his children. Many grumpy old men who were jaded from all the horrible sights they must have seen for the years they have lived in this world. Not Roger though. He would come in with a smile on his face every morning. A man truly blessed just to breathe the air he did. He would sport a smile whether he lost a card game or 100 dollars in Keno.

He was a giving man. Always with a cigar in his mouth. I remember telling him how Scott was dabbling in smoking cigars and the next day him coming in with 5 of his favorites for Scott to try out. At that point he had never met my husband, but still he wanted to share his pleasures with him. Scott was floored by his generosity enough to come in the next week to thank him personally and meet the man who I always spoke about highly. Since that day, Scott had gone down there many more times and spoke to Roger, they would talk like they had known each other for years.

The last day I say him was Super Bowl Sunday. He had lost the big card game and decided just to turn his attention to Keno. He won and as always smiled like he won a million, even though at that point he probably lost more then he won. I was busy that day and never said good bye to him. He just left and for granted I thought I would see him again. Up until the call I got last night.

His infection was worse then anyone imagined, if that was what it even was. Word spreads like wild fire and not always reliable down at the club. He was on a ventilator and had brain damage. The family decided to take him off support and a few hours later he passed. Many men have come and gone from the club since I started working there 5 years ago, but no man will be missed as much as Roger. His spirit for life always touched me and I will miss his smile and warm heart. The world will miss it.

He is now with his wife whom he missed so much and looking down on us with his smile.

No comments: