Thursday, June 18, 2009

Water under the bridge.

That is what my husband said. But still I am pissed off.

Last year a couple of months before starting IVF, Scott's company decided to switch insurance companies. I live and he works in a state that mandates fertility coverage. No problem, they will get another with coverage. Nope his boss decides to self fund, the one option where the mandate does not protect you. Yes frustrated and sad I called 4 different area clinics got pricing on IVF, payment and financing plans. No was not an answer! One clinic suggest I buy an individual plan in Massachusettes. We decide to do that, pay a monthly premium for a plan that covered 50% of the IVF cost with a $1000 deductable and no med coverage. Quite a big difference from 100% coverage, but our desire to have a child outweighed the expences. We budgeted, cut our spending and saved as much as we could each month. We paid each cycle off, one by one, a large chunk was paid off with our tax returns, family members gave us monitary gifts. Christmas was filled with cards with money rather then sweaters we would wear once. We got by with a little help from our friends. We still owe about 8k, but that is getting paid off as quickly as possible.

So today Scott goes into work to see that when open enrolement comes around in July he can sign me back up to his plan. We only need maternity coverage now, no need to pay for an individual plan with a high deductable. Well the office manager tells him they are switching insurances because they did not save as much as they thought they would last year. Really. What plan are you getting... the one we had before!

Yep water under the bridge. We could have bought a new car, fenced the back yard which is what we were saving for in the first place. Gone out to dinner!

Forgive me if I feel kicked in the gut for a minute.

1 comment:

Melissa Griffin said...

UGH, I dont blame you! I live in MA to and had to buy BCBS individual policy cause we have a PPO so I can completely understand the frustration even though it is water under the bridge..Jerks!