Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Blood work is back from NT scan

Mostly it is good news, something I will not pursue further with a CVS or Amnio. For Downs Syndrome, my risk is 1 in 2000, that of a 20-24 year old. Then for Trisomy 13 and 18 it is 1 in 200, that of a 39 year old. So slightly higher but considering I am going to be 38 when the child is born, it is not overly high.

The genetics counselor did say that the reason for the change in risks for the trisomy screening was because my placenta is showing a lack of protien. She said there was nothing I could do to fix it, but it would require addition u/s during my third trimester. Something I am over thinking now, but the doctor will go into further detail on Friday. Overall, I am at ease with everything. Hopefully, it will stay that way after talking to the doctor Friday.

Oh and I am graduating this week to second trimester! At my appointment I get to hear the heartbeat for the first time. I am looking forward to it! Can't believe 3 months past already! It seemed to go by very slowly in the middle but after the NT Scan, things speed up! Soon I will need to start shopping and registering and all the fun stuff that comes with expecting a baby. Now I am reading Baby Bargains to get a clue on what I may need for baby. It is a whole new world out there, one I never dared to enter until now!

No comments: