Tuesday, August 4, 2009

What's in a name.

I have become indecisive in choosing my boys name. Before we knew it was a boy we both liked Christian. Then I thought of it some more and became iffy on it, mostly because he undoubtedly would be called Chris more then once in his life time. My name is Kristine, called Kris more then a 1000 times in my life... next.

Scott's dad passed away. Richard Scott Br... Wait! While it is a wonderful tribute to his father, he already has a namesake. Rick is Scott's older brother. I am not crazy about Rich or Richie and mostly Dick. I could call him Richard, but again people will call him Rich or Richie. I thought long and hard, I know it is important to Scott, but I just can not hate my son's name. So what does any pregnant woman do when she is torn. She cries like a two year old. Childish? Yes. Selfish? Perhaps a tad, but I am trying to picture little Richie in my head and I just can't. You know the scream across the room test "Richard Scott Bre. get over here" ... insert record scratch...

So as any married couple does, we compromised. Richard will now be his middle name. Still honoring his father.

So here are now the contenders:
Nicholas Richard (last name sounds like pressure in a Boston accent with a B instead of P)
Michael Richard
Dylan or Dillon Richard
Evan Richard

Right now we are leaning towards Dylan or Dillon. As Scott said in a few days I will change my mind... Out of all the names I *think* this one is the best option for us, Michael is still overused. Evan initials will be ERB like Herb. Nicholas is a great name, but not when he may be a Christmas baby.

So what do you think about Dylan or Dillon? As you can see I am not sure how I like it spelled. The Y looks feminine to me, but it is the more popular spelling. Decisions Decisions.

4 comments:

Jenn said...

In my opinion (not that it counts), I love the name Dylan and think you should stick to the "normal" spelling. I find that kids hate being "odd" and if everyone is always spelling their name wrong or if they can never find a personalized mug with their name, then they feel "odd".

And since boys like nicknames...you can always call him DR (just the initials, not doctor).

FYI...don't over use the pregnant tears...you'll need to save them until the end when you really want hubbie to do something for you and believe me, you will!!! (smile)

Bluebird said...

Oh, honey - just getting caught up and crying tears of joy for you over here. A boy! How wonderful.

Okay :)

First, fwiw, I have a coworker with a son named Richard and he is always Richard and only Richard - no nicknames there! (I also used to work with a Benjamin who was never a Ben). So, if you like the full name, it can be done.

Assuming you really like it as a middle name. . . hummm. . . I think Dillon or Evan are my favorites :) Have fun deciding!

The Lungos said...

I like Dylan out of the names you listed. What about Wyatt? Wyatt Richard sounds solid to me. (Just my opinion)

Good liuck with a name and the rest of your pregnancy!

Spearmint Baby said...

congrats on your boy! how exciting :) i think i like Dylan better- i don't find the spelling feminine at all. go with your gut!